In order to offer Precision Plastic Mechanization, it is necessary to know the behavior of engineering plastics very well. Plastic’s worst enemy is temperature. As a result of temperature, the different thermoplastics can vary their dimensions.
It is necessary to keep in mind that the effort for plastic mechanization is lower than in metals. It is also necessary to reduce subjection in the plastic to avoid tensions and deformation that can be produced by an excessive closure of the clamps.
When mechanizing plastic, it is necessary to control the heat that can be generated during the work, in order to avoid liberating tension and that, as a consequence, pieces are produced that are out of parallelism.
There are 56 thermoplastic denominations on the market, according to ISO10438 / DIN7728, without considering the different combinations (additives, PTFE, Fiber, etc.) For an adequate Plastic mechanization it is necessary to correctly determine the tools, advances and revolutions.
That is why, as specialized engineering in plastic mechanization, we can offer our advice so that your application develops with the required success and lifecycle
Engineering plastics are a perfect substitute for applications when metals are employed. Always under previous study, considering the work and environmental conditions of your application, we can propose a possible change…
It is necessary to review the design and tolerances. As a consequence of the viscous elastic behavior of the different plastic materials, they can present greater thermic expansion than metals. Within the different plastic materials, there are those with greater thermic expansion and others with high dimensional stability..
- Light clamping methods. Avoid forcing the plastic.
- Sharp edges are not advisable in interior mechanization.
- Splay the edges for a smooth transition between the plastic piece and the cutting tool.
- Avoid threading on the plastic. It is preferable to apply autothreading caps or helicoil.
- Where possible, apply soluble lubricants. Be careful as there are amorphous structure materials that can suffer chemical attacks upon contact with these products, they can also degrade, crystallize and crack with more ease.